China Embassy in U.S.A.

 Visa Application Form of PRC
  Detail Procedure for Application 
   (How to Apply - Processing Time - Visa Fees - Pick-up, etc)
  For Children Born in USA with Chinese Descent Going to China

Ambassador: Mr. Cui Tiankai
Minister: Mr. Li Kexin
Address: 3505 International Place, NW, Washington, D.C. 20008, USA
Tel: +1-202-4952266
Fax: +1-202-4952138
Email:  chinaembpress_us@mfa.gov.cn
Website: http://us.china-embassy.org/eng/

Consular Office of Chinese Embassy in U.S.A.

Address: 2201 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, Suite 110, Washington, D.C. 20007, USA
Telephone Consulting Service: +1-202-7908746, 8551555
Fax: +1-202-5889760
Email: visaoffice.dc@gmail.com
Office Hours: 09:30-12:30, 13:30-15:00, Monday-Friday (except holidays)

Consular Districts of the Embassy/Consulates in U.S.A

Embassy/Consulate Consular Jurisdiction
Embassy of PRC in Washington DC Washington DC, Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming, Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas, Puerto Rico
Consulate General of PRC in Chicago Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin
Consulate General of PRC in New York Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont
Consulate General of PRC in Los Angeles Arizona, Hawaii, New Mexico, Southern California, Pacific Islands
Consulate General of PRC in San Francisco Alaska, Nevada, Northern California, Oregon, Washington

Major Visa Types & Requirements


Tourist (L) It is issued to those who comes for tourism. Group L is available for tourists who travel on a group basis.
Business (M) It is issued to those who intend to go there for commercial and trade activities.
Noncommercial Visit (F) It is issued to those who intend to go to China for exchanges, visits, study tours and other activities.
Employment/Work (Z) It is issued to an alien who comes for a post, employment, or commercial performance.
Student (X)

It is issued to foreigners who go to study in China.
X1 is issued to those who intend to stay for a period of more than 180 days, while X2 is issued to those who intend to stay for a period of no more than 180 days.

Family Reunion (Q) It is issued to those who are family members of Chinese citizens or of foreigners with Chinese permanent residence and intend to go to China for family reunion, or to those who intend to go there for the purpose of foster care.
Q1 grants a stay of more than 180 days, while Q2 allows a stay of no more than 180 days.
Private Visit (S) it is issued to family members of foreigners with work Z and student X in China or visit for other private affairs.
S1 is for immediate family members, and S2 is for all family members including spouses, parents, sons, daughters, spouses of sons or daughters, brothers, sisters, grandparents, grandsons, granddaughters and parents-in-law.
Transit (G)

It is issued to a foreign citizen who is to transit through China on his or her way to a third country (or region).

Talent (R) It is issued to aliens who are high-level talents or whose skills are urgently needed in China.
Hong Kong SAR & Macao SAR Visa 1. American citizens are exempt from Hong Kong Visa if they go to Hong Kong for visit or sightseeing and they stay at Hong Kong for not more than 90 days.
2. American citizens are exempt from Macao Visa for up to 30 days.

How to Apply -- Processing Time -- Visa Fees -- Pick-up

10-year China Visa for US Citizens

As of late 2014, the Chinese Embassy in the USA began to accept 10-year multiple-entry (L / M / Q2 / S2 type) and 5-year multiple entry (X1 type) visa applications. The required documents for the above-mentioned entry permits are basically the same as before. However, applicants please note that the remaining validity of passport should not be less than one year. Each allowed stay duration of ten-year L / M type shall be 60 days, 90 days for the S2 type, and 120 days for the Q2 type. The stay of Q2 type can be 180 days at most upon the applicant’s reasonable request. If the applicant gets a new passport but has a valid Chinese entry permit on the old passport, he or she can travel with both passports provided that the personal details on both papers are exactly consistent. The fee for a 10-year entry permit is 140 dollars.

2021 Holiday Schedule of the Embassy in Washington D.C. 

To observe the public holidays of PRC and the United States, the consular office will be closed on the following festivals in 2020.

Festivals Date Day
New Year's Day January 1 Friday
Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr January 18 Monday
Chinese New Year February 11 - 12 Thursday - Friday
Qingming Festival April 5 Monday
Labor Day May 3 Monday
US Memorial Day May 31 Monday
Independence Day July 5 Monday
US Labor Day September 6 Monday
Mid-Autumn Festival  September 20 Monday
Chinese National Day October 1 - 4 Friday - Monday
Thanksgiving Day November 25 - 26 Thursday - Friday
Christmas Day December 24 Friday

 Please contact Embassy of U.S.A. in PRC if Americans are in problems there.

 Recommended Tours:
China Tours from USAFrom New YorkFrom WashingtonFrom Los AngelesFrom SeattleFrom Chicago,
From DetroitFrom HoustonFrom San FranciscoFrom HawaiiFrom Boston

 Other Chinese Embassies in North America:
Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Nassau, the Bahamas, Ottawa, Canada
- Last modified on Aug. 15, 2021 -
Questions & Answers on China Embassy in U.S.A.
Asked by PeiLun Li from UNITED STATES | Jul. 08, 2021 12:36Reply
Link on Chinese Embassy for renewal of Chinese Passport
Can you post the link on the Chinese Embassy Website on how to renew my Chinese Passport. A couple of months ago I received an email saying the Embassy is not taking applications from Chinese citizens to renew their passport. Thank you
Answers (1)
Answered by Jennifer | Jul. 12, 2021 20:11

Sorry, it is not allowed to post a link on this website.
Asked by Rony from USA | Jun. 23, 2021 20:26Reply
Mom to China
I currently live and work in Nanjing and have a valid resident permit (with a USA passport). My wife and son are under my resident permit as dependents. My wife is having a baby in October 2021 in Nanjing (the same hospital as my first son).

I would like to have my mother (with a USA passport and 10 year Chinese tourist visa) come to China for 3 months to help us with the baby and our son. She will receive the vaccine(Johnson & Johnson), July 12th. And would plan to come to China from August 15th - December 15th.

Would she be able to apply to come to China?
Does she need a new visa?
Does she need to go to an embassy or can do it through the mail or email? (she lives in Houston texas)
What documents does she need to fill out?

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,
Rony Tovar
Answers (2)
Answered by Miranda | Jun. 28, 2021 01:47

Rony, I'm afraid your mom's 10 year tourist visa cannot be used currently, and she does not qualify for a new visa at the current situation.
Answered by Carlos mamzo | Aug. 15, 2021 18:22

Good luck sir. I else been need it some help am American us citizen idont know no body and china and mine Fionse don't know how too do things like go too embassy she's young than me,. Chinese we planing get married just hoping some one send me invitation letter. So I could go too chinal guilin and married her there while I bring her too USA. This is mine. If someone will help me. I hope when this pandemic ends go visitthsnk you stay bless.
Asked by Casey Leroy Agee from USA | May. 25, 2021 10:25Reply
I am flying from Dallas Texas. Is there a covid 19 test laboratory I must use?
I have contacted the embassy many times via email and phone and have not gotten through. The Institute I work for in China has sent 3 official letters asking for help with one question so I can make travel plans back to China.

In Dallas Texas can I go to any laboratory facility to get testing?

One instruction in your Q and A says I can go anywhere that is a licensed facility and another says it must be AYASS Bioscience or Real Time Laboratories, the third was it must be Devlabbio.

Due to the 48 hour turn around time to travel I need to be sure. Can you tell me what is the laboratory or is it any laboratory.

Answers (1)
Answered by Bruce | May. 31, 2021 02:13

I think you will find the anwser here: china-embassy.org/eng/visas/t1844606.htm
Or you may contact the airlines to get the answer.
Asked by Luis from UNITED STATES | May. 06, 2021 13:23Reply
Covid 19 test to travel to China
Greetings I’m traveling to China out of Miami Florida, connecting in Los Angeles. I wanted to know which places in Miami or Los Angeles are approved by the government to get Covid-19 tested to travel. I tried the embassy website but I can’t get a list of places.
Answers (1)
Answered by David | May. 17, 2021 01:27

I think you'd better do it in LA, where you are going to get onboard the flight. Also, the tests should be done within 48 hours before boarding and uploaded to local Chinese embassy or consulate timely. For more details, you may contact the embassy or consulate.
Ask a Question
Question Summary (100 characters)
Details (optional) (2,000 characters)